Today, on my way to work, I was reminded of 1 John 3, which says, "Behold, what manner of Love the Father has bestowed on us, that weshould be called Children of God!" I recently got into reading Our Daily Bread devotionals in the morning as I stop at the many traffic lights along my way to work, and this particular thought-provoker was from yesterday, May 15.
I started thinking about how to whom much is given, much is expected (Luke 12:48) -- my husband just LOVES to remind me of this verse every once in a while. We have been given the Love of Christ and we are called his Children! And what more could Love mean than to give your life for someone? It seems so simple to be able to just love others in the way Christ loves us every day, but for some reason, it can often feel like the toughest thing in the world. I have so many ugly moments of judgment, jealousy, hypocrisy, and just outright meanness. And yet I have somehow been given the greatest love in all the world. This is such a startling truth to me because I am among the most UN-deserving! This verse brings so much comfort to my heart and it eases my mind because sometimes, I just get plain sick of myself and all I want to do is bask in the glory of the Lord. It will truly be hHeaven when I no longer have to deal with the selfish thoughts in my head or the way I like to hear myself talk soemtimes and to be finally at rest with the child God has created me to be, without blemishes.
But, for now, I'm willing to wait and better myself along the way. Another verse my little devotional threw out at me this morning was, "I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and in His Word I do hope." (Psalm 130:5) I love how when you come to the end of yourself, the only thing that can truly bring comfort is His Word.
------------------------------------------


No comments:
Post a Comment